Inequalities Unwrapped: An urgent call for systemic change – CONCORD report

Rising inequalities are among the most complex and pressing issues of our century. Protests around the world show the urgency of the matter. How can we tackle this multidimensional problem to ensure no one is left behind?
 
This is the question raised by the brand new Concord report “Inequalities Unwrapped: An urgent call for systemic change” which identifies concrete measures to be undertaken by the EU to reduce economic, social, environmental and political inequalities.

The report, which includes contributions by SOLIDAR, identifies universal access to public services and good social protection for all as vital in order to strive towards equal opportunities for all.

Nevertheless, while social protection is an important instrument in reducing income inequality, only 45% of the global population are covered: the remaining 55% – as many as 4 billion people – are left without it.

For this reason, the report calls for:

  • A strengthening of social dialogue and measures to ensure decent working conditions, including living wages, social protection and respect for rights and democracy at work across global value chains.
  • Support for well-designed human rights and life cycle-based, gender-sensitive universal social protection systems in partner countries.
  • Ensuring, and support for, universal access to public services and good social protection for all, investing in human development through development cooperation programmes.