Social Protection Monitoring Country Report | Uganda
- The EU should step up efforts to support the establishment of universal national health insurance which is available to all.
- The EU should encourage the Government to update the minimum wage legislation which is 30 years out of date in order to ensure decent wages, among others, to public services workers.
- The EU should promote social protection across all sectors, for example in agriculture, where it is necessary to build resilience to cushion people from the impact of shocks.
- More must be done to promote social protection as a universal right, for all people regardless of their identity or background. Particular attention must be paid to vulnerable groups.
- The EU must continue to support civil society to operate freely, and challenge the Government if and when freedom of association is threatened. The 2010 NGO should be revised.
- Additional funding must be mobilised, to ensure adequate financing for social protection. The Government should pledge a percentage of the National Budget to demonstrate its commitment.